The Dangers Of Diy Rodent Control

When faced with the problem of rodents on their premises, many people will try to treat the problem themselves in order to save some money. But did you know that DIY rodent control is creating a much more serious problem that could end up costing you a lot more than you had bargained for??

Poisoning is the most common form of rodent control and can be used in conjunction with the use of rodent traps.

The most common poison types are those which come in a loose-grain format or those which are compressed into waxy blocks. The active ingredient for rodent poisoning baits can range from Warfarin, Difenacoum, and Bromadiolone.

It is extremely important that these baits are handled and used properly as they are highly dangerous to humans and other non-target animals. As little as a teaspoon of poisoned bait is enough to kill your family cat or small-medium sized dog!

Another less obvious danger of misusing these poisons is that rodents can develop an immunity to them!

Immunity to Warfarin was first discovered in the 1960s, but now rats are worryingly showing resistance to the more modern poisons, such as Difenacoum and Bromadiolone.

Immunity develops when the rodents ingest small amounts of poison which makes them unwell but is not concentrated enough to kill them. This allows their bodies time to produce antibodies to fight the effects of the poison, allowing them to recover and survive. When these rodents then breed, the young are born with immunity to the poison and can eat it with very little/no ill-effect. As the colony continues to grow and breed, the level of resistance to poisons increases, making them a lot harder to get rid of!

Immunity to rodent poisons is becoming much more common, due largely to the types of DIY baits that can be bought on the high-street, which contain a MUCH lower concentration of poison than the baits which are used by licensed Pest Controllers.

Did you know…

The Law states that ANYONE using poisoned baits to treat a rodent problem is legally obliged to ensure that all baits are used and stored in accordance with regulations stated in the Food and Environment Act 1985 and Protection of Animals (amended) Act 1927.

Anyone using poisons to treat rodents MUST make a conscious effort to check around for dead rodents and dispose of them in accordance with the relevant waste disposal guidelines, as any rodent carcasses which are left lying around could be eaten by pets and other non-target animals and birds (including protected species) and cause secondary poisoning! Should this happen, you will be liable for prosecution!

Call in the Professionals…

In order to treat a rodent problem as quickly and effectively as possible, you should call in a Professional Pest Controller who is licensed to use the more potent poisoned baits that are only available for use by a trained professional.

Pinnacle Pest Control has the training, expertise, and equipment to use these baits in the safest and most effective way and will also take responsibility for removing and disposing of any carcasses!

Mario

About Mario

I am Mario. I am a technology lover, and my team renders the brimming and trending details to the readers to satisfy their inner technocrats.